India’s Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) has launched the PAT(Perform, Achieve and Trade) Scheme targeting industries which has high energy consumption. This is to set good energy efficiency targets for the industries which consume upto 40% of India’s primary energy consumption. Goal is to save 6.68 mtoe in 8 sectors by 2015.
Focus areas of PAT:
1. PAT will be structured on the basis of unit-level benchmarking of energy used per unit of output, that is, Specific Energy Consumption.
2. Facilitates experience exchange on energy saving initiatives and results among the Designated Consumers (DCs)
3. Provide resources on Energy Management Systems, which includes metering and sub-metering systems
4. Help DCs with systematic approach to baseline and reporting period measurements, recording and reporting of results etc.
5. Provide guidelines on MRV (measurement and verification) and normalization techniques to ensure that savings are recognized under varying conditions.
Steps with respect to PAT
1. Identify the boundaries
a. Need to define the utilities under the scope of the DCs which include Electricity, Steam, Compressed Air, Water, etc.,
b. Find out of which are the ones which are increasing the Specific consumption
2. Establish the baselines
a. Identify the current efficiency on the consumption of utilities and desired outcome
b. Form-D has to be generated which forms the baseline for plant specific energy consumption norms for every year
c. Target setting happens based on the sector wise analysis
3. Measurement & Verification
a. Measurement and verification can be done by collecting data
b. Generate form-1 for self reporting from the DCs
c. Form-1 review and approval by AEA (Accredited Energy Auditor)
d. Form 2 – Action plan on recommendations from AEA submitted by DCs
e. Form 3 – Progress report on actions taken by the DCs
f. Status of compliance reporting through Form D by DCs
Preparation of PAT related forms and tracking the action items to closure would be a humongous task for the Utility and Engineering department without an automated solution. Ultima software from Grove Info gives you ability to do the them effectively:
• Establish the baseline for utility at a specific Equipment or Section
• Generate report on the baseline
• Identify the Pre/Post implementation of the changes or action taken
These abilities would help you to establish and track the baselines and action taken, so that reporting to the AEA can be done efficiently.